Thursday, January 30, 2014

Meat Cars on the third district

I'm going out on a limb and ordering two of the new GAC meet reefers that Rapido has just released.

I am not aware of any packing houses in the area that I model from Middle River to just RR west of Richmond, but there were a number of houses in South San Francisco, AKA Butcher Town.  I plan to put them into LCL service dropping off cut meat to customers in the Valley served by the Santa Fe. The cars will be handed over from the SP and transit my layout on a Pink Perishable SP waybill east bound and return on a Green ATSF Meat Card Waybill.   Here are a couple of examples that I've filled in.


This first card shows a return to South San Francisco via the SP at SF and the Santa Fe at China Basin.  Someone at Western Meat must have gotten a good bottle of scotch to specify such a short haul on the SP.  But it does bring a meat reefer onto my layout at Richmond via the car float.


The second card represents a longer SP haul, but risks the car getting delayed in the bay area congestion.

Swift also had a plant in SSF, but I didn't discover that until after I purchased my cars.

John Barry
Cameron Park, CA

No comments:

Post a Comment