Monday, March 17, 2014

Mystery Brass



Back in 1985 while stationed at Kunsan with the Air Force, I visited the Daeki Model Company’s factory in Seoul, Republic of Korea.  Mr. Kim was a very gracious host on my tour and I witnessed the assembly of beautiful models from piles of brass castings and sheet.  The patience of the assemblers amazed me as they worked in a chilly, not too brightly lit industrial building in downtown Seoul.  Their skills working with brass, still far exceed mine, and I am still in awe of their accomplishments.  At the end of the tour, Mr. Kim showed me several models that his company had produced.  I inquired if any of the models were available for sale.  He said yes and I selected four that returned to the states with me at the end of my tour.  He had no Santa Fe models at that time, so I selected a Southern Pacific MM-3 2-6-6-2, NYO&W Y-2 4-8-2, a caboose and a steam heater car.  The first two boxes had labels, but the second two did not.  I think Mr. Kim told me the prototypes, but my notes of that have disappeared as have my recollection of his words. 

I have since figured out that the Steam heater car was based on a Great Northern prototype.





The Caboose, I have and can recall no information on other than it was built by Daeki and so marked.






If you can identify the importer of either or the prototype for the caboose I would appreciate a comment or an e-mail at northbaylines at att dot net.

John Barry,

Cameron Park, CA

No comments:

Post a Comment